Friday 9 August 2019

THE BASIS OF MY FAITH AND MORAL CONVICTIONS


NAME: MUOGBO MICHAEL

COURSE: CHRISTIAN ETHICS

COURSE CODE: SS/BTH/209

LECTURER: Sr. MARIAN ANYANWU

TOPIC: THE BASIS OF MY FAITH AND MORL CONVICTION



THE BASIS OF MY FAITH AND MORAL CONVICTIONS

Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen, and conviction is the feeling of being certain about something. I was given birth to within a catholic home; so I inherited Christianity as a default religion. My belief is modeled in accordance with the Christian religion and specifically according to the catholic faith. However, apart from the fact that I was given birth to and raised up in a catholic home, there is a basis on which I stand my faith. This basis is peculiar to my understanding of my faith and it is the primary source of my conviction with regards to faith matters.

The basis for my faith conviction is in Christ, the word of God. Christianity is a religion founded by Christ himself who is the divine word of God that was made flesh to dwell among us. Life in Christ is the fundamental basis of Christian faith and morality. The faith draws its life source from the person of Christ, his life and his teachings. As a standard to measure this faith and morality, Saint Paul says: “until Christ is formed in me”.

The word of God is the foundation, the absolute index of all I believe. And my passion and convictions are born out of this foundation. Experience does not dictate my convictions; the church can be in trouble, the Magisterium may be questioned, heaven and earth may pass away but the word of God will never pass away. If I ever allow my experiences or the things that happen around me and even within the church to be the foundation for my faith convictions, my faith would be loosely impacted and I risk the possibility of getting lost. This is because there are lots of inconsistencies and contradictions around us; within and without the church. But the word of God remains and no authority can alter what is written therein. With this as the foundational base for all I believe, I am not troubled neither by the wind of scandals nor by the storm of disbelief. I am confident about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment