Thursday 11 November 2021

. STILL A DISTANCE TO GO

 

517.  STILL A DISTANCE TO GO

 

Yesterday I went to bed without a second nod to the one who waited all night for me

This fall has landed me on broken pieces of piercing objects

I landed on a branch of stillness

And perforated all through

 

But I have to catch my scattered disturbances

With a voice of scolding urgency

I expect within each strong wind

But it draws me towards an invisible cave

It has been a long walk to freedom

Yet still a distance to go

I hope Nigeria doesn’t retire at 65

Else she might be running out of time

 

Oh my dearest country

Small is the work you have done

You have turned less wrong to right

You have hit no traitor on the hips; don’t be a coward in this fight

 

This tethered hut has refused to fall

But we shouldn’t surrender our hope to annihilation

I watch my dear country with an eye of pleasure

But my eyes hold stale tears

 

The unshed tears of suffering press against each other

The hope of longing grow shorter every day

But we are still able to dine amid happy conversations

Dragging love back to the house of charity

 

Free and independent, but yet to behold the dome of this golden temple

Courage is fast departing the house of hope

We still drag the chains of slavery behind us

Shut up in a prison not made of iron

 

Who doesn’t prefer exile to freedom is still a slave

Yes, but we today disown the shackles that slow our steps

We should have a pricking awareness piecing the skin of our oblivion

Or are the labours of our heroes past in vain?

 

Diaries of the unspoken words BY  MUOGBO MICHAEL ZIMIFE (PURPLE ANT)

No comments:

Post a Comment