Sunday 4 February 2018

WHY CAN'T YOU BE LIKE....MOTHERS PLEASE AVOID THIS STATEMENT





Comparison can be devastating no matter how well intended it may be
Instead of complementing, comparison often wounds and awards a degree of inadequacy
Comparing a child to another is an approach of motivation designed for disaster
Motivation comes from within; it is an inspiration from the least expected direction

The full measure of a person can only be found within his or her own heart
I plead in my own heart for the opportunity to be judged by my own merits
Something is inherently wrong with being compared to someone else
I think anyone would resent it; I, for one do

It is quit a burden to be expected to live up to someone else’s accomplishment
Or maybe to live down someone else’s reputation
But that is not life; I want to stand on my feet and give a full account of myself
It hurt to remember being compared to people who are thought to be better

Maybe I was to be intimidated
Maybe I was to be inspired to a higher level
But whatever must have been the motives
I remember feeling embarrassed and hurt


Did that help me?
Do I hate them for that?
To answer the first questions is to resolves the second
Certainly there are things I can do better than those people

No matter what a parent’s motives may be, the child gets a different message

As I child, with every comparison, I only understood I wasn’t liked the way I am
Not especially when I get to hear litanies of “does he have two heads?”
Most parents don’t understand how children’s emotions work
Sometimes in trying to put the child on, they switch him off perpetually

The appreciation of a child has nothing to do with how you think of another child
And certainly the appreciation of a quality in a particular child
Has nothing to do with the lack of that quality in another child
But would parents ever come in terms with this? That, I don’t know

This is particularly not fair to children
Because all a child knows is how much he/she likes the parents
Often you won’t see them making comparisons
Mum! Dad! Why then put so much pressure on your child

The challenge to grow up is so confusing
Grow up to be like what?
Every single child who can identify with everything written above, have this challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment