Wednesday 24 January 2018

WHEN GOD BREAKS YOUR HEART





Tragedy and suffering are never convenient
Yet they are part of our lives
At the moment when what I dreaded most happened,
I had this thought about God
Whom I was sure would never let me down.
I really thought God was ignoring my grief

“God is close to the broken hearted” (ps. 34:18)
Of what use is it if He is responsible for the brokenness?
Surely, I do know: brokenness is not the end game of life
But my physical and emotional turmoil has stolen my confidence in God

I have lost my perspective in tragedy
Anguish changes our priorities when the worst happens
This is really extinguishing the light of my faith

How long will I lift my eyes to this mountain?
Where is my help? (ps. 121:1)
“God is no more on your side”
I heard this and my breath became more unsteady
I was hoping my little piety would save me
But it was not enough to

God is a physician with great professionalism
Why then is he not attending to me?
Forget what my poems say
Because every single line I write removes a tear from my eyes

The gods have broken my heart
Until now, I’ve never been hurt beyond hope
Why should I cry to the gods?
When as usual they will not show up

I’m already losing this game
Why don’t they step in and play on my side?

My faith has always kept me on a repentant knee
Sometimes when I bend my knees
Through many sleepless nights
I feel like the gods have betrayed my trust

I have given up hope
Yet I always try one more time
The problem is:
My trials seem to have fallen into an infinite regress

But I’m sure, God is not surprised or threatened by my doubts and fears
I want to pray, but the words in my heart scares me

God is my father
I know this more than I’m sure of my own name
But I do wonder
What kind of father withholds his care at the precise moment his son need it the most?
I go through martyrdom like I’m in a slow fire

When God breaks your heart
You will feel damaged beyond recovery
And will always remember the words of proverb 29:1
Then you will wonder if you have ever been so deaf to counsels
No. not even in your greatest annoyance and provocation

This is a test
Don’t forget that during class test
The teacher is always quiet
Until he is set to make the corrections.
Likewise, don’t think God has abandoned you

Job was really too patient and never felt heartbroken
Why then should I?
When tragedy strikes repeatedly
Its more than we can bear
But out of the most devastating life experience
The Lord crafts within us a new, stronger, more vibrant and enduring faith

I wonder why Jesus allowed Lazarus to die
When He can actually safe him from dying at the first instance
I can recall He saved an officials son in Capernaum without even moving a step
He only spoke the words
Why is He now withholding those words in my own case?

God really broke my heart
But the same time He has given it a better shape
We must not allow discouragement to take active root in out hearts
I chose hope in the mist of this faith-shattering situation

No comments:

Post a Comment